Have questions? Please contact us.
- Long-term collaboration – ArcelorMittal’s systems were already being hosted in the NTT DATA Business Solutions data center in Bautzen, Germany
- Ability to deliver remote services would lead to significant cost savings
- A collaborative culture built on trust
Natalia Smirnova, SAP Basis Team Lead, ArcelorMittal Europe – Long Products
Active in over 60 countries and with a workforce of 222,000, ArcelorMittal is the world’s largest steel and mining company. Its business unit ArcelorMittal Europe – Long Products operates in 10 countries across Europe and North Africa. The organization produces hot-rolled steel sheet piles, foundation solutions, wire rods, and bars. It even provided beams used in constructing the Burj Khalifa, the tallest tower in the world. As well as delivering the highest quality steel products, the company prides itself on its forward-thinking philosophy: “transforming tomorrow”.
Challenges and Benefits
- Complex, heterogeneous system landscape comprising over 190 interfaces
- Impossible to update and maintain
- Difficult to run error analyses
- Ensure business continuity
- Transparent and integrated system landscape
- Most up-to-date system version
- Maintenance can be performed without downtime
- Processes graphically represented to BPMN 2.0 standards
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Migration from SAP Process Integration to SAP Process Orchestration
- Mirrored servers to allow load balancing without downtime
- Planned switchovers for maintenance
- Failover when errors occur
About the Project
ArcelorMittal Europe – Long Products has an extensive catalogue of steel goods that adhere to the strictest technical, environmental, and quality requirements. To accommodate this volume and variety of products, the organization was managing its supply chain on over 190 separate interfaces. This made error analysis difficult and updates as well as maintenance impossible. To eliminate these issues and bring its software up to speed, the organization opted to migrate its supply chain processes from SAP Process Integration (PI) to SAP Process Orchestration (PO).
Upgrading to SAP Process Orchestration was the solution the company needed. By uniting its fragmented and complex system landscape it was able to integrate its supply chain processes and thereby streamline operations significantly. In addition to SAP PI, SAP PO includes SAP Business Process Management and SAP Business Rules Management software. With support from NTT DATA Business Solutions, ArcelorMittal Europe – Long Products migrated its supply chain processes from SAP PI to SAP PO on time and within budget. 89% of the migration project was carried out remotely, with collaboration between NTT DATA Business Solutions’ German and Spanish teams bringing it to a successful conclusion.