NTT DATA Revises the “NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050” to Support the SBTi Net-Zero Standard
Revised plan for tackling climate change aims to achieve net zero GHG emissions by 2050
NTT DATA, a global digital business and IT services leader, today announces that it has revised the NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050, its plan for responding to climate change, by adding a new long-term target of achieving net zero*1 carbon emissions by 2050. This revised vision supports the Corporate Net-Zero Standard*2 announced by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi)*3 in October 2021.
Based on this vision, NTT DATA will cut greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, including in its supply chain, and pursue Green Innovation to contribute to net zero emissions for its clients and society.
NTT DATA sets targets and pursues measures to address the problem of climate change. In June 2020, NTT DATA Group received certification from the SBTi for its GHG emissions reduction target of “a 60% reduction in Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions from FY 2016 level by FY 2030 (1.5°Ⅽ target), and a 55% reduction in Scope 3 emissions from FY 2016 level by FY 2030.”
In March 2021, NTT DATA signed the “Business Ambition for 1.5°Ⅽ”*4 commitment aiming to lower GHG emissions to substantially zero by 2050, and established the NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050, its plan for addressing climate change. Based on this vision, NTT DATA is pursing two types of Green Innovation—helping clients and society become greener in order to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 (Green Innovation by IT), and reducing GHG emissions across its own supply chain (Green Innovation of IT).
In response to the SBTi’s clarification of the Net-Zero standard in October 2021, NTT DATA has now revised the “NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050.”
The NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050 (revised June 2022)
The revised NTT DATA Carbon-neutral Vision 2050, and image of GHG emissions reductions based on this vision, is as follows.
To realize carbon-neutral society by 2050, NTT DATA promotes Green Innovation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across its supply chain, while contributing to the greening of clients and society.
We commit to archieving corbon neutrality in Scope 1 and 2 by 2040, and zero in Scope 1, 2 and 3 by 2050*.
*Added this time
To achieve Net Zero in Scope 1-3*5 by 2050, NTT DATA plans to reduce Scope 1, 2, and 3 greenhouse gas emissions by 90% or more, with the remaining 10% or less offset by carbon removal as stipulated by the SBTi. To ensure that targets are met by 2050, NTT DATA has also set a near-term target for carbon neutrality in Scope 1 and 2 by 2040.
Based on this vision, NTT DATA will cut GHG emissions, including in its supply chain, and pursue Green Innovation to contribute to net zero emissions for its clients and society.
NTT DATA’s specific measures and activities for 2050 Net Zero
- Reducing emissions from the Company (Scope 1 and 2), and furthering carbon neutrality in the ICT industryNTT DATA pursues initiatives with domestic businesses and overseas group companies to cut its GHG emissions. As of April 2022, all of the electricity used in running ANSER®, CAFIS®, and OpenCanvas®, the main services provided by the Company in Japan, has been derived from 100% renewable sources*6. NTT DATA will continue to pursue energy savings, aiming for 100% renewable energy for the electricity used in its data centers, by 2030.NTT DATA is also working to develop and promote the widespread use of “green software” to decrease the use of hardware that results in GHG emissions. The Company is a steering member of the Green Software Foundation*7, a global non-profit group established in May 2021.
- Reducing GHG emissions across the supply chain (Scope 3)In April 2022, NTT DATA became the first Japanese company to join the CDP Supply Chain Program, the international NGO that runs the platform for environment-related disclosure, as a Premium member, and is working to achieve carbon neutrality by cutting GHG emissions throughout its supply chain*8.In April 2022, NTT DATA established the non-profit organization Estainium Association, together with 14 other members. This association supports industrial decarbonization by offering an open foundation for the trustworthy exchange of GHG emissions data (product carbon footprint data) among all companies in a supply chain, supporting carbon neutrality for industry*9.
- Removing the carbon remaining after reductions in GHG emissionsNTT DATA is working with government bodies and other corporations to pursue measures for carbon absorption utilizing forestry credits, both in Japan and overseas. In February and March 2022, the Company conducted demonstration experiments for CO2 reductions of “blue carbon,” the carbon absorbed by marine ecosystems in Kamiamakusa-city in Japan.*10. These measures maximize reductions in GHG emissions, and remove leftover carbon.
NTT DATA will continue to pursue reductions in Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHG emissions, aiming for net zero emissions in 2050. The Company will also work in cooperation with CDP, other companies, and a wide range of stakeholders to support net zero emissions in industry and society.
NTT Green Innovation toward 2040
NTT Group announced its environmental vision “NTT Green Innovation toward 2040” on September 28, 2021, setting goals for an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (compared to FY2013), and carbon neutrality in the mobile and data centers businesses by FY2030, and to achieve full carbon neutrality by FY2040. NTT Group is expanding its initiatives for carbon neutrality to society at large, supporting the Japanese government’s target of a 46% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (compared to FY2013 levels) by FY2030, and carbon neutrality by 2050.
- Net zero carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions are achieved when anthropogenic CO2 emissions are balanced globally by anthropogenic CO2 removals over a specified period.
- “SBTi launches world-first net-zero corporate standard” (sciencebasedtargets.org)
- Science Based Targets (SBTs) are targets for reducing corporate GHG emissions, based on scientific evidence conforming to the Paris Agreement. The targets are set by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), a joint initiative for climate change between the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project), World Resources Institute (WRI), and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
- “Business Ambition for 1.5°C” is a campaign led by the UN global compact, the We Mean Business Coalition, and the SBTi, that urgently calls on companies to set science-based reduction targets, with the aim of lowering GHG emissions to substantially zero by 2050.
- Scope 1 refers to direct emissions from owned or controlled sources, such as fuel combustion. Scope 2 covers indirect emissions stemming from the use of electricity, heat, or steam supplied by other companies. Scope 3 includes all other indirect emissions (emissions from supply chains related to the activities of business operators).
- “NTT DATA Begins 100% Renewable Energy Installation in ANSER®, CAFIS®, and OpenCanvas®” (Japanese)
- “GSF develops an alpha version of Software Carbon Intensity, a method for scoring the carbon emissions of software operations”
- “NTT DATA to Join CDP Supply Chain Program as a Premium Member
- “NTT DATA Establishes “Estainium Association” to Promote Industrial Decarbonization”
- “NTT DATA to Conduct Demonstration Project to Calculate CO2 Absorption by the Sea” (Japanese)
* “ANSER,” “CAFIS,” and “OpenCanvas” are registered trademarks of NTT DATA Corporation in Japan.
* Other names of products, companies, and organizations are trademarks or registered trademarks of those companies.
About NTT DATA
NTT DATA – a part of NTT Group – is a trusted global innovator of IT and business services headquartered in Tokyo. We help clients transform through consulting, industry solutions, business process services, IT modernization and managed services. NTT DATA enables clients, as well as society, to move confidently into the digital future. We are committed to our clients’ long-term success and combine global reach with local client attention to serve them in over 50 countries. Visit us at nttdata.com.
NTT DATA Corporation
Public Relations Department
Products and Services Contact
NTT DATA Corporation
Green Innovation Office
Shimogaki, Tsunemi, Ryugai, Hasegawa