Have questions? Please contact us.
Why NTT DATA Business Solutions?
- Key focus on innovation in higher education
- Strategic SAP partner, providing application management services, technical and functional consulting, advisory services, and software maintenance
- Advisor on SAP S/4HANA journey
Alan Cecchini, SAP Architect, Newcastle University
UK Employees: 6,409 (2020)
Students: 27,988 (2020/21)
Newcastle University is a member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities in the UK
Challenges and Benefits
- Devising a digital transformation strategy and implementation sequence
- Complicated system landscape which would benefit from simplification
- Hardware and software solutions approaching end of life
- COVID-19 impacting on planned initiatives
- Delivery of a digital platform and integrated suite of SAP applications that will help the University to adapt and evolve into an ‘intelligent enterprise’
- An SAP platform capable of driving superior student and faculty engagements
- A harmonised SAP user experience across transactions and Fiori apps
- A simplified SAP landscape leading to reduced cost of operations and smoother change management
- SAP S/4HANA 1709
- SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting
- SAP CRM 7.0 (due to be replaced by new CRM technology platform)
- SAP SRM 7.0 (due to be replaced by S/4)
Continuing to invest and innovate with SAP technology, Newcastle University went live with SAP over 20 years ago starting initially with Finance, HR and Payroll modules.
Future Proofing the University for the Digital Age with SAP S/4HANA
Newcastle University went live with SAP over 20 years ago starting initially with Finance, HR and Payroll modules. Next, they opted to become a pilot customer for Student Lifecycle Management, which is the industry solution for Higher Education. Since then, the University has undertaken many business transformation projects as they continue on their journey to becoming an intelligent enterprise. Consequently, the University’s SAP footprint has grown significantly.
Before implementing SAP S/4HANA, Newcastle undertook a number of maintenance projects to prepare for their S/4HANA journey. The University went live with S/4HANA in January 2020. The original intention was to roll straight into phase 2 (business transformation phase) and prioritise the first functional area to be transformed. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University had to pause and pivot to new challenges. Follow on projects to upgrade S/4HANA to the latest release and collapsing Gateway into S/4HANA have successfully passed proof of concept assessment and are currently in the planning stages for rollout through the landscape.
IESA took advantage of a very short 72 hour downtime window and successfully moved to S/4HANA in only 68 hours.
City, University of London uses SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW) to support management decision making. The benefits that SAP BW can bring are endless for the University with student data being an integral part of reporting.
This project focused on the implementation of SAP S/4HANA , along with SAP BW/4HANA and B2B Commerce website.